Pet Safety Advice from Affiliates Emergency Veterinary Service
If you’re planning to do some landscaping or gardening this spring, be careful about what plants you use. Some plants like lilies, amaryllis, and azaleas, are toxic for pets if eaten. Also, if you use fertilizer on your lawns and gardens, carefully read the labels on the packaging before your spread it. There are chemicals in some fertilizers and pesticides that are toxic to animals if they ingest them, and this can lead to a medical emergency. Always store fertilizers and pesticides far out of your pet’s reach.
Did you know that cats and dogs are very susceptible to heatstroke in the warmer months? Their fur acts as insulation, which means their body temperatures can quickly rise to unsafe levels. If you have a pet that spends a majority of their time outdoors, make sure they have plenty of fresh, cool water to drink, as well as a shady area to rest in. When it gets really hot outside, bring them indoors where it’s cool. NEVER leave a pet alone in a hot car. Even if the car is parked in the shade with the window open, the internal temperature of the vehicle can reach over 120 degrees on a 70 degree day. If your pet experiences heatstroke, bring them in to our practice immediately.
When the weather begins to cool down, it’s important to keep the safety of our pets in mind when they’re outdoors. Like humans, animals are susceptible to frostbite and hypothermia, and immediate care should be sought if your pet ever experiences these situations. If left untreated, pets could end up losing body parts, or even their lives.
Symptoms of frostbite include:
- Discoloration of the affected area of skin
- Skin ulcers
- The affected area of skin is cold and/or brittle to the touch
- Pain in affected area of skin
Symptoms of hypothermia include:
- Dilated pupils
- Low heart rate
- Difficulty breathing
The holidays are right around the corner, and with these festive times come lots of great foods and treats! Make sure that your pet doesn't get a hold of any candy, especially chocolate and sugar free candies which can be especially dangerous for them. Holiday decorations can also be extremely hazardous so we recommend avoiding lit candles positioned in places your pet can access, and foil tinsel and ribbon which can cause intestinal obstruction if swallowed.